Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Waiting Child

The Waiting Child – An Adoption Poem (stole this from here: http://journeytobabyboz.blogspot.com/2011/04/waiting-child.html)
By Debbie Bodie

I saw you meet your child today
You kissed your baby joyfully
And as you walked away with him
I played pretend you’d chosen me.

I’m happy for the baby, yet
Inside I’m aching miserably
I want to plead as you go by,
“Does no-one want a child of three?”

I saw you meet your child today
In love with her before you met
And as I watched you take her out
I knew it wasn’t my turn yet.

I recognize you from last year!
I knew I’d seen your face before!
But you came for a second babe
.Does no-one want a child of four?

I saw you meet your child today
But this time there was something new
A nurse came in and took MY hand
And then she gave my hand to you.

Can this be true? I’m almost six!
And there are infants here, you see?
But then you kissed me and I knew
The child you picked this time was me.

The first time I read this (earlier this week) I cried, a lot. Tuesday on our date night, I read this to Chris and couldn't even finish it I was crying too hard. Even he had tears in his eyes! The sad thing is that a few months ago I would have read it and been sad for a minute but then would have gone about my life as if I never saw the words. Now these words are eating away at me, burning a hole in my heart that I can't ignore. I don't go a day (heck even a minute) without thinking about these sweet children that have no one to love them, no one to hold them and rock them to sleep. No one to kiss their owies (as we call them in our house) or just to pray over them. I read on another blog that Unicef is now estimating that there are 163MILLION orphans in the world. 163MILLION!! I can't even wrap my head around that! Ive been asking God to break my heart for orphans a lot lately and I have to admit that He is (more on that in another post) but He is also opening doors to opportunities that I never even considered. Just now I got a "tip" about a possible opportunity to go to another country (a country that I prayed for God to lead me to if He wanted us there) and help and an orphan ministry there...this is HUGE, not because of us but because of HIM! Ive never had a heart for missions or for going to other countries for anything less than a vacation, yet God has taken my brokenness and given me a heart for Him and His children. My prayer is that you will read the poem above and it "gets" you in some form or fashion. Not everyone is called to adopt or to mission to other countries, but we are called to "love the least of these" and to pray for them.

-Abbey

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you" John 14:18


I should add that when I say "go to" that country I do not mean live there, I mean visit there. Had to add that because when I told someone that they kinda freaked out thinking that we were moving! I can say with a lot of certainty that we are meant to stay in Houston and I don't see that changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment